This is an application to become a notary public in the state of New Jersey. You may also apply online at http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/revenue. You must be a resident of New Jersey or a resident of a neighboring state and employed in New Jersey. This is only an application and you cannot serve as a New Jersey notary public until the process has been completed and you have sworn your oath of office.
How To Fill In New Jersey Notary Public Application Form:
- Check the box whether this is an application for a new commission or a renewal of a commission. If it is a renewal, enter your commission number and expiration date.
- Enter your full name. Check the box if this is a change or correction of your name.
- Enter your complete address and county of residence. Check the box if this is a change or correction of your address.
- Enter your date of birth.
- Check the box if you have had a previous commission and it has been denied, suspended, or revoked. If you check yes, enclose an explanation on a separate page.
- Check the box if you have been convicted of a crime. If you check yes, enclose an explanation on a separate page. If you have been convicted of a crime in the first or second degree or a crime of dishonesty, you are not eligible to be a New Jersey notary public.
- Sign the form with your full name and enter the date.
- If you are not a resident of New Jersey but are employed in New Jersey, enter your business name, address, and county.
- Obtain, by mail or in person, a signature from a state legislator. Enter his or her legislative district number.
Mail the completed and endorsed form with a check or money order payable to the Treasurer of the State of New Jersey for $25.00 to
Notary Public Section, DORES, P.O. Box 452, Trenton, NJ 08646.
If your application is approved, you will be mailed a Notary Public Commission Certificate and an Oath Qualification Certificate. You will need to swear the oath and pay a filing fee at your county clerk’s office. You may not perform any duties as a New Jersey notary public until you have received your commission certificate.