This is an application to become a notary public in the state of Virginia. You must complete the form legibly and submit it for approval. All fields must be filled out.
How To Fill Out The Virginia Notary Public Application Form:
- Check the box corresponding to your gender.
- Enter your name exactly as it appears on your state-issued identification. This is also how your name will appear on your commission.
- If this is an application to renew your commission and your name has changed, enter your previous name.
- Check the box indicating whether this is a new application or a renewal. If it is a renewal, provide your notary registration number.
- Check the box indicating whether you prefer mail to go to your home or business address.
- Enter your complete home address.
- Enter the name of your present employer or check the box indicating that you are unemployed, retired, a student, or self-employed.
- Enter a business address. If you do not have a business address, enter your home address in this field.
- Enter home, work, and cell phone numbers. If you do not have a work phone number, enter your home number in this field.
- Enter your e-mail address.
- Enter your date of birth.
- Enter the name of the circuit court where you will take your oath.
- Check the box indicating if you are over 18 years old.
- Check the box indicating if you can read and write in English.
- Check the box indicating if you have been convicted of a felony. If you check yes, provide the details of your conviction as requested.
- If you have checked that you have been convicted of a felony, check the box indicating if your civil rights have been restored by a governor.
- Check the box indicating if you currently serve as a Notary Public in the state of Virginia.
- Initial the box indicating that you have read and understand “The Handbook for Virginia Notaries Public”.
- Initial the box indicating that you understand how to establish a signer’s identity.
- Initial the box indicating that you cannot charge more than $5.00 to notarize a document.
- Initial the box indicating that you understand you cannot notarize certificates of birth, death, or marriage and that you cannot perform marriages.
- Initial the box indicating that you understand you cannot practice law.
- Initial the box indicating that you understand the seven items you must complete on each document you notarize.
- Initial the box indicating that you understand that notarization should appear on the same page as the signature(s).
- Initial the box indicating that you understand that your stamp/seal must contain your name as it appears on your commission and the words “Notary Public” and “State of Virginia”.
- Initial the box indicating that you must claim your commission within 60 days of it being issued.
- Have your signature on this form properly notarized.
The fee for this application is $45.00 and must be in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia.
Send the completed, signed, and notarized form along with your payment to the
Secretary of the Commonwealth-Notary Division, P.O. Box 1795, Richmond, VA 23218-1795.
You cannot act as a notary until your application has been approved and you have claimed your commission.